Cognition and emotional well-being, such as anxiety and depression, are important metrics for older adults that inform cancer management and have implications for treatment tolerance, disease-related outcomes, and survival [
]. Comprehensive geriatric assessment is a helpful evaluation to identify age-related needs and improve cancer care for aging adults [
- Niedzwiedz C.
- Knifton L.
- Robb K.
- et al.
Depression and anxiety among people living with and beyond cancer: a growing clinical and research priority.
BMC Cancer. 2019; 19: 1-8
]. It is equally important to identify factors within a person's social, cultural, or ethnic background that promote and preserve healthy aging. Religiosity is a practice that has received increased interest to better understand its impact on aging as well as cancer outcomes. Religiosity is multifaceted and is defined as a religious commitment that involves religion activities, intrinsic faith, beliefs, religious attitudes and practices, and identification and affiliation [
- Mian H.
- Pond G.R.
- Tuchman S.A.
- Fiala M.A.
- Wildes T.M.
Geriatric assessment and quality of life changes in older adults with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma undergoing treatment.
J Geriatr Oncol. 2020; 11: 1279-1284
- Ng G.
- Mohamed S.
- Sulaiman A.
- Zainal N.
Anxiety and depression in cancer patients: the association with religiosity and religious coping.
J Relig Health. 2017; 56: 575-590
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Geriatric Oncology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Depression and anxiety among people living with and beyond cancer: a growing clinical and research priority.BMC Cancer. 2019; 19: 1-8
- Geriatric assessment and quality of life changes in older adults with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma undergoing treatment.J Geriatr Oncol. 2020; 11: 1279-1284
- Anxiety and depression in cancer patients: the association with religiosity and religious coping.J Relig Health. 2017; 56: 575-590
- The Duke University religion index (DUREL): a five-item measure for use in epidemiological studies.Religions. 2010; 1: 78-85
- Religiosity/spirituality and mental health in older adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies.Front Med. 2022; : 9https://doi.org/10.3389/fmed.2022.877213
- The effect of religion and spirituality on cognitive function: a systematic review.Gerontologist. 2019; 59: e76-e85
- Religion, spirituality, and physical health in cancer patients: a meta-analysis.Cancer. 2015; 121: 3760-3768
- Validation of a prediction tool for chemotherapy toxicity in older adults with cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2016; 34: 2366
- Evaluating the Carg chemotherapy toxicity calculator among older adults newly diagnosed with hematologic malignancy.Blood. 2021; 138: 1931
- Validation of a short orientation-memory-concentration test of cognitive impairment.Am J Psychiatry. 1983; 140: 734-739
- Measuring functioning and well-being: The medical outcomes study approach.Duke University Press, 1992
- Religiosity and function among community-dwelling older adult survivors of cancer.J Relig Spiritual Aging. 2013; 25: 311-325
- Anxiety and depression after cancer diagnosis: prevalence rates by cancer type, gender, and age.J Affect Disord. 2012; 141: 343-351
- Prevalence, mechanisms, and management of cancer-related cognitive impairment.Int Rev Psychiatry. 2014; 26: 102-113
- Religious involvement and cognitive functioning at the intersection of race–ethnicity and gender among midlife and older adults.J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2022; 77: 237-248
Published online: February 14, 2023
Accepted: February 2, 2023
Received in revised form: December 20, 2022
Received: September 6, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.