Low physical function is associated with adverse outcomes in older adults with cancer, but evidence on real-world, clinical management of low physical function in oncology is lacking. We explored whether impairments in muscle strength and/or physical performance triggered downstream management by clinicians, the types of recommended strategies, and the reasons for not providing a referral/strategy for addressing such impairments in older cancer survivors prior to treatment.
Materials and Methods
We conducted a retrospective, cross-sectional study of older adults who completed a comprehensive geriatric assessment (CGA) prior to cancer treatment in a tertiary cancer centre. Muscle strength and physical performance were assessed through grip strength and the Short Physical Performance Battery (SPPB), respectively. Patients who exhibited an impairment in grip strength and/or SPPB were classified as having abnormal objective physical function. Downstream management strategies and clinicians' reasons for not providing referrals were retrieved from clinical notes and an institutional database.
In total, 515 older adults (mean age: 80.7 years) were included. Low grip strength and/or SPPB combined was observed in 66.4% (n = 342) of participants, of whom 54.1% (n = 185) received an acceptable intervention. However, 41.2% (n = 141) were not provided with a referral/strategy by clinicians to address such impairments following CGA. No reasons were provided in clinical notes for not addressing impairments in physical function for 100 participants (70.9%).
Many older adults with cancer have impaired physical function prior to treatment. However, we found that such impairments are not systematically addressed by clinicians, and documentation was often suboptimal, identifying gaps in patient care that need to be addressed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Geriatric Oncology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Modifiable factors affecting older patients’ quality of life and physical function during cancer treatment.J Geriatr Oncol. 2019; 10: 904-912
- Perspectives on functional status in older adults with cancer: an interprofessional report from the International Society of Geriatric Oncology (SIOG) nursing and allied health interest group and young SIOG.J Geriatr Oncol. 2021; 12: 658-665
- Geriatric assessment predicts hospitalization frequency and long-term care use in older adult cancer survivors.J Oncol Pract. 2019; 15: e399-e409
- Functional decline in the cancer patient: a review.Cancers (Basel). 2022; : 14
- Physical function and all-cause mortality in older adults diagnosed with cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2021; 76: 1447-1453
- Physical function predicts mortality in patients with cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies.Support Care Cancer. 2021; 10: 5623-5634
- The impact of pre-treatment muscle strength and physical performance on treatment modification in older adults with cancer following comprehensive geriatric assessment.Age Ageing. 2022; : 51
- Are frailty markers useful for predicting treatment toxicity and mortality in older newly diagnosed cancer patients? Results from a prospective pilot study.Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2011; 78: 138-149
- Hand grip strength as a predictor of postoperative complications in esophageal cancer patients undergoing esophagectomy.Esophagus. 2018; 15: 10-18
- Physical performance measures for predicting outcome in cancer patients: a systematic review.Acta Oncol. 2016; 55: 1386-1391
- The value of physical performance measurements alongside assessment of sarcopenia in predicting receipt and completion of planned treatment in non-small cell lung cancer: an observational exploratory study.Support Care Cancer. 2018; 26: 119-127
- The FNIH sarcopenia project: rationale, study description, conference recommendations, and final estimates.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2014; 69: 547-558
- Grip strength cutpoints for the identification of clinically relevant weakness.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2014; 69: 559-566
- Using the short physical performance battery to screen for frailty in young-old adults with distinct socioeconomic conditions.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2013; 13: 421-428
- Short physical performance battery and all-cause mortality: systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Med. 2016; 14: 215
- Practical assessment and management of vulnerabilities in older patients receiving chemotherapy: ASCO guideline for geriatric oncology summary.J Oncol Pract. 2018; 14: 442-446
- Putative cut-points in sarcopenia components and incident adverse health outcomes: an SDOC analysis.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2020; 68: 1429-1437
- Geriatric assessment-driven intervention (GAIN) on chemotherapy-related toxic effects in older adults with cancer: a randomized clinical.Trial JAMA Oncol. 2021; 7e214158
- Diagnostic accuracy of the short physical performance battery for detecting frailty in older people.Phys Ther. 2020; 100: 90-98
- Measuring frailty in clinical practice: a comparison of physical frailty assessment methods in a geriatric out-patient clinic.BMC Geriatr. 2017; 17: 264
- Sarcopenia: revised European consensus on definition and diagnosis.Age Ageing. 2019; 48: 601
- Multiphasic prehabilitation across the cancer continuum: a narrative review and conceptual framework.Front Oncol. 2020; 10598425
- Midlife hand grip strength as a predictor of old age disability.JAMA. 1999; 281: 558-560
- Loss of muscle strength, mass (sarcopenia), and quality (specific force) and its relationship with functional limitation and physical disability: the concord health and ageing in men project.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010; 58: 2055-2062
- The influence of lower-extremity function in elderly individuals’ quality of life (QOL): an analysis of the correlation between SPPB and EQ-5D.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2014; 58: 278-282
- Geriatric assessment of older adults with cancer during unplanned hospitalizations: an opportunity in disguise.Oncologist. 2015; 20: 767-772
- The effect of exercise-based interventions on health-related quality of life and physical function in older patients with cancer receiving medical antineoplastic treatments: a systematic review.Eur Rev Aging Phys Act. 2020; 17: 18
- Effects of physical exercise interventions in frail older adults: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials.BMC Geriatr. 2015; 15: 154
- The prevalence and outcomes of frailty in older cancer patients: a systematic review.Ann Oncol. 2015; 26: 1091-1101
- Sarcopenia in the older adult with cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2021; 39: 2068-2078
- Absence of risk of sarcopenia protects cancer patients from fatigue.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2021; 76: 206-211
- The predictive value of low skeletal muscle mass assessed on cross-sectional imaging for anti-cancer drug toxicity: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Clin Med. 2020; 9
- Prognostic value of sarcopenia in adults with solid tumours: a meta-analysis and systematic review.Eur J Cancer. 2016; 57: 58-67
- Sarcopenia definition: the position statements of the sarcopenia definition and outcomes consortium.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2020; 68: 1410-1418
- Preoperative functional capacity and postoperative outcomes following abdominal and pelvic cancer surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.ANZ J Surg. 2022; 7-8: 1658-1667
- Loss of independence in older patients after operation for colorectal cancer.J Am Coll Surg. 2020; 230: 573-582
- Exercise, diet, and weight management during cancer treatment: ASCO guideline.J Clin Oncol. 2022; 40 (JCO2200687): 2491-2507
- Exercise guidelines for cancer survivors: consensus statement from international multidisciplinary roundtable.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2019; 51: 2375-2390
Published online: January 24, 2023
Accepted: January 9, 2023
Received in revised form: December 2, 2022
Received: September 21, 2022
© 2023 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.