Aflibercept (ziv-aflibercept) significantly improves progression-free (PFS) and overall survival (OS) when added to 5-fluorouracil, leucovorin and irinotecan (FOLFIRI), compared with FOLFIRI alone, in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer previously treated with oxaliplatin-based therapy. This subset analysis of the VELOUR study investigates aflibercept plus FOLFIRI versus placebo plus FOLFIRI according to age.
Efficacy and safety were analyzed by treatment arm and age (≥ or <65 years).
Overall, 443 patients were ≥65 years old (205 in aflibercept arm; 238 in placebo arm) and 783 were <65 years old (407 in aflibercept arm; 376 in placebo arm). Median OS was 12.6 versus 11.3 months (hazard ratio [HR]: 0.85; 95.34% CI 0.68–1.07) in patients ≥65 years old and 14.5 versus 12.5 months (HR: 0.80; 95.34% CI 0.67–0.95) in those patients <65 years old, for patients receiving FOLFIRI plus aflibercept or placebo, respectively. There was no interaction between treatment and age. Treatment-emergent adverse events (AEs) were comparable for patients <65 years and ≥65 years old. The incidence of grade 3/4 AEs was higher for patients ≥65 years old than for those <65 years old in both the aflibercept (89.3% versus 80.5%) and placebo (67.4% versus 59.4%) arms. Interaction tests for grade 3/4 antiangiogenic agent-related AEs suggested no heterogeneity between the older and younger patient populations (p > 0.1).
A limited but consistent benefit on both OS and PFS was associated with the addition of aflibercept to FOLFIRI compared with placebo in patients <65 and ≥65 years old, with a marked but manageable increase in the toxicity profile in older patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Geriatric Oncology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Cancer today.International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France2016 (Available from:)http://gco.iarc.fr/todayDate accessed: September 5, 2016
- Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: sources, methods and major patterns in GLOBOCAN 2012.Int J Cancer. 2015; 136: E359-86
- SEER cancer statistics review, 1975–2013, based on November 2015 SEER data submission, posted to the SEER web site, April 2016.National Cancer Institute Bethesda, MD2016 ([http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2013/])
- National Bowel Cancer Audit Progess Report.in: Tripartite colorectal meeting, Birmingham July 2014. 2014 ([http://www.tripartite2014.org/content/uploads/2013/05/NBOCAP-2014-Progress-Report.pdf])
- Clinical trial enrollment, patient characteristics, and survival differences in prospectively registered metastatic colorectal cancer patients.Cancer. 2009; 115: 4679-4687
- Treatment of the elderly colorectal cancer patient: SIOG expert recommendations.Ann Oncol. 2009; 20: 5-16
- Treatment of colorectal cancer in older patients: International Society of Geriatric Oncology (SIOG) consensus recommendations 2013.Ann Oncol. 2014; 26: 463-476
- ESMO consensus guidelines for the management of patients with metastatic colorectal cancer.Ann Oncol. 2016; 27: 1386-1422
- Advanced colorectal cancer: ESMO clinical practice guidelines for treatment.Ann Oncol. 2010; 21: v93-7
- Oxaliplatin- or irinotecan-based chemotherapy for metastatic colorectal cancer in the elderly.Br J Cancer. 2003; 89: 1439-1444
- Should we consider the weekly (w) chemotherapy (CT) with fluorouracil (F)+racemin folinic acid (f) a standard treatment for advanced/metastatic carcinoma of the digestive tract (DTC) in elderly patients (pts)?.Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. 1997; 16 ([Abstract 920]): 259a
- Efficacy of 5-fluorouracil-based chemotherapy in elderly patients with metastatic colorectal cancer: a pooled analysis of clinical trials.Ann Oncol. 2004; 15: 1330-1338
- Irinotecan/fluorouracil combination in first-line therapy of older and younger patients with metastatic colorectal cancer. Combined analysis of 2,691 patients in randomized controlled trials.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 1443-1451
- Pooled analysis of safety and efficacy of oxaliplatin plus fluorouracil/leucovorin administered bimonthly in elderly patients with colorectal cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 4085-4091
- Geriatric factors predict chemotherapy feasibility: ancillary results of FFCD 2001-02 phase III study in first-line chemotherapy for metastatic colorectal cancer in elderly patients.J Clin Oncol. 2013; 31: 1464-1470
- Chemotherapy options in elderly and frail patients with metastatic colorectal cancer (MRC FOCUS2): an open-label, randomised factorial trial.Lancet. 2011; 377: 1749-1759
- Predicting chemotherapy toxicity in older adults with cancer: a prospective multicenter study.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29: 3457-3465
- Bevacizumab in combination with oxaliplatin, fluorouracil, and leucovorin (FOLFOX4) for previously treated metastatic colorectal cancer: results from the eastern cooperative oncology group study E3200.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 1539-1544
- Bevacizumab plus irinotecan, fluorouracil, and leucovorin for metastatic colorectal cancer.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 2335-2342
- Bevacizumab in combination with oxaliplatin-based chemotherapy as first-line therapy in metastatic colorectal cancer: a randomized phase III study.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 2013-2019
- Effect of bevacizumab in older patients with metastatic colorectal cancer: pooled analysis of four randomized studies.J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2010; 136: 737-743
- Efficacy and safety of bevacizumab in metastatic colorectal cancer: pooled analysis from seven randomized controlled trials.Oncologist. 2013; 18: 1004-1012
- Addition of aflibercept to fluorouracil, leucovorin, and irinotecan improves survival in a phase III randomized trial in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer previously treated with an oxaliplatin-based regimen.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 3499-3506
- Aflibercept versus placebo in combination with fluorouracil, leucovorin and irinotecan in the treatment of previously treated metastatic colorectal cancer: Prespecified subgroup analyses from the VELOUR trial.Eur J Cancer. 2014; 50: 320-331
- Aflibercept plus FOLFIRI vs. placebo plus FOLFIRI in second-line metastatic colorectal cancer: a post hoc analysis of survival from the phase III VELOUR study subsequent to exclusion of patients who had recurrence during or within 6 months of completing adjuvant oxaliplatin-based therapy.Target Oncol. 2016; 11: 383-400
- Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observations.J Am Stat Assoc. 1958; 53: 457-481
- Time course of safety and efficacy of aflibercept in combination with FOLFIRI in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer who progressed on previous oxaliplatin-based therapy.Eur J Cancer. 2015; 51: 18-26
- Ziv-aflibercept in combination with FOLFIRI for second-line treatment of patients with metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC): interim safety data from the global aflibercept safety and quality-of-life program (ASQoP amd AFEQT studies) in patients ≥65.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32 ([Abstract 545])
- Ziv-aflibercept (Z) in combination with FOLFIRI for second-line treatment of patients with metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC): interim safety data from the global aflibercept safety and quality-of-life program (ASQoP amd AFEQT studies) in patients aged 65 or older.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33 ([Abstract 588])
- Observed benefit of aflibercept in mCRC patients ≥65 years old: results of a prespecified age-based analysis of the VELOUR study.Ann Oncol. 2013; 24 ([abstract O-0017]): iv18
- Zaltrap full prescribing information.
- Population pharmacokinetic analysis of free and bound aflibercept in patients with advanced solid tumors.Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2013; 72: 167-180
Published online: August 12, 2017
Accepted: July 26, 2017
Received in revised form: April 27, 2017
Received: January 27, 2017
© 2017 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.