To identify factors associated with under-use of sentinel lymph node dissection (SLND).
Materials and Methods
This study was performed in ELIPPSE 65, a representative cohort of women aged ≥65 with breast cancer. We included all women eligible for SLND. Characteristics of those who had received SLND – whether or not axillary lymph node dissection (ALND) was subsequently carried out – were compared with those having received immediate ALND without prior SLND.
A total of 349 women were eligible for SLND. After excluding those without surgery or with unknown axillary surgery type, 337 women were analyzed. Immediate ALND was performed in 20% of cases. Immediate ALND had been performed more frequently in women aged ≥75 and in those who had poor family support.
Although SLND is a widespread surgical practice, many women still have unnecessary ALND. This is particularly detrimental for elderly women as their life may be strongly impaired by lymphedema.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Geriatric Oncology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A multicenter cohort study to compare quality of life in breast cancer patients according to sentinel lymph node biopsy or axillary lymph node dissection.Ann Oncol. 2009; 20: 1352-1361
- Arm morbidity following sentinel lymph node biopsy or axillary lymph node dissection: a study from the Danish Breast Cancer Cooperative Group.Breast. 2008; 17: 138-147
- Randomized multicenter trial of sentinel node biopsy versus standard axillary treatment in operable breast cancer: the ALMANAC Trial.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2006; 98: 599-609
- Comparable survival between pN0 breast cancer patients undergoing sentinel node biopsy and extensive axillary dissection: a report from the Korean Breast Cancer Society.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 1692-1699
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy in breast cancer: ten-year results of a randomized controlled study.Ann Surg. 2010; 251: 595-600
- American Society of Clinical Oncology guideline recommendations for sentinel lymph node biopsy in early-stage breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 7703-7720
- Disparities and trends in sentinel lymph node biopsy among early-stage breast cancer patients (1998–2005).J Natl Cancer Inst. 2008; 100: 462-474
- Beyond the clinical trials: how often is sentinel lymph node dissection performed for breast cancer?.Ann Surg Oncol. 2005; 12: 41-47
- Factors associated with variance in compliance with a sentinel lymph node dissection quality measure in early-stage breast cancer.Ann Surg Oncol. 2010; 17: 297-302
- Race and age disparities in receipt of sentinel lymph node biopsy for early-stage breast cancer.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011; 128: 863-871
- Patterns of axillary surgical care for breast cancer in the era of sentinel lymph node biopsy.Ann Surg Oncol. 2009; 16: 687-696
- Computer assisted telephone interviewing: effects on interviewers and respondents.Public Opin Q. 1984; 48: 356-369
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- Prise en charge du Cancer du Sein non métastatique.
- Assessing self-maintenance: activities of daily living, mobility, and instrumental activities of daily living.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1983; 31: 721-727
- The development, validity, and reliability of the OARS multidimensional functional assessment questionnaire.J Gerontol. 1981; 36: 428-434
- The mini-cog: a cognitive ‘vital signs’ measure for dementia screening in multi-lingual elderly.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2000; 15: 1021-1027
- Short versions of the geriatric depression scale: a study of their validity for the diagnosis of a major depressive episode according to ICD-10 and DSM-IV.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 1999; 14: 858-865
- Weight, shape, and mortality risk in older persons: elevated waist–hip ratio, not high body mass index, is associated with a greater risk of death.Am J Clin Nutr. 2006; 84: 449-460
- The WHOQOL-BREF questionnaire: French adult population norms for the physical health, psychological health and social relationship dimensions.Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique. 2010; 58: 33-39
- The surgical management of elderly cancer patients; recommendations of the SIOG surgical task force.Eur J Cancer. 2004; 40: 926-938
- Management of breast cancer in elderly individuals: recommendations of the International Society of Geriatric Oncology.Lancet Oncol. 2007; 8: 1101-1115
- Sentinel node biopsy in elderly breast cancer patients.Surg Oncol. 2004; 13: 193-196
- A randomized trial comparing axillary dissection to no axillary dissection in older patients with T1N0 breast cancer: results after 5 years of follow-up.Ann Surg. 2005; 242 (discussion 7–9): 1-6
- Randomized trial comparing axillary clearance versus no axillary clearance in older patients with breast cancer: first results of International Breast Cancer Study Group Trial 10–93.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 337-344
- Selective application of axillary node dissection in elderly women with early breast cancer.Ann Surg Oncol. 2007; 14: 652-659
- Lymphatic mapping and sentinel lymph node biopsy in early-stage breast carcinoma: a metaanalysis.Cancer. 2006; 106: 4-16
- Axillary dissection vs no axillary dissection in women with invasive breast cancer and sentinel node metastasis: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2011; 305: 569-575
- Trends in and outcomes from sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) alone vs. SLNB with axillary lymph node dissection for node-positive breast cancer patients: experience from the SEER database.Ann Surg Oncol. 2010; 17: 343-351
- Comparison of sentinel lymph node biopsy alone and completion axillary lymph node dissection for node-positive breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 2946-2953
- A declining rate of completion axillary dissection in sentinel lymph node-positive breast cancer patients is associated with the use of a multivariate nomogram.Ann Surg. 2007; 245: 462-468
- Breast cancer among the oldest old: tumor characteristics, treatment choices, and survival.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 2038-2045
- Relationship between age and axillary lymph node involvement in women with breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 2931-2937
- Age-related variations in the use of axillary staging may explain the increased risk of axillary lymph node involvement in older women with breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27 (author reply e8): e276-e277
- Cost comparison of axillary sentinel lymph node detection and axillary lymphadenectomy in early breast cancer. A national study based on a prospective multi-institutional series of 985 patients ‘on behalf of the Group of Surgeons from the French Unicancer Federation’.Ann Oncol. 2011; ([Electronic publication ahead of print])
- Determinants of cancer therapy in elderly patients.Cancer. 1993; 72: 594-601
- Older female cancer patients: importance, causes, and consequences of undertreatment.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 1858-1869
- Standard treatment of female patients with breast cancer decreases substantially for women aged 70 years and older: a German clinical cohort study.Ann Oncol. 2010; 21: 748-753
- Dealing with metastatic breast cancer in elderly women: results from a French study on a large cohort carried out by the ‘Observatory on Elderly Patients’.Ann Oncol. 2006; 17: 211-216
- The relationship between social ties and survival among black and white breast cancer patients. National Cancer Institute Black/White Cancer Survival Study Group.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 1994; 3: 253-259
- Effect of nurse case management on the treatment of older women with breast cancer.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003; 51: 1252-1259
- EUROCARE-4. Survival of cancer patients diagnosed in 1995–1999. Results and commentary.Eur J Cancer. 2009; 45: 931-991
- Lymphedema following axillary lymph node dissection for breast cancer.Surg Oncol. 2006; 15: 153-165
- Lymphoedema and reduced shoulder function as indicators of quality of life after axillary lymph node dissection for invasive breast cancer.Br J Surg. 2003; 90: 76-81
- Critical assessment of the clinical TNM system in breast cancer. Report from the Yorkshire Breast Cancer Group.Br Med J. 1980; 281: 134-136
Dr. Camille Cluze is a doctor graduated in Medicine and specialized in Public Health at the University of Lyon in 2009. She obtained a Masters in Biostatistics in 2008. Her research interests include the epidemiology and management of cancer, specifically breast cancer.
Published online: March 16, 2012
Accepted: February 15, 2012
Received in revised form: January 12, 2012
Received: November 28, 2011
© 2012 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.